Sunday 23 September 2012

a pinterest favourite

As we all know I am a bit addicted to pinterest! 
My favourite food pin so far is a rice and chicken casserole. I have had to update it as we dont seem to sell wild rice where I live and we dont like celery!

But here it is my version!








Preheat oven to 180 C. Prepare your rice as per cooking instructions on the pack. We use boil in the bag rice which I whack in the microwave. Chop mushrooms, onions and carrots and fry them with a bit of hendersons relish. Cube some chicken and add to the frying pan with some tomato paste. Start making a cheese sauce, this isn't how I normally do cheese sauce but it works really well for this dish. Put some butter and equals amounts of flour into a pan and cook together, season well, I add some English mustard too. Once the mixture has melted and thickened again add some cold water  just a little at a time and whisk, keep going till its the amount and consistency you want. Start adding grated cheese into your mixture and stir till its melted. Now your rice should be done, add your rice to the frying pan and cook off until you feel your sauce is ready. Pour the sauce over the rice and make sure its evenly coated. Put in an oven proof dish and bake for 30 minutes. Then serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment